The New York Mets agreed to one-year contracts with seven players on Friday to avoid salary arbitration, including shortstop Francisco Lindor, outfielder Michael Conforto and first baseman and outfielder Dominic Smith.
Lindor, who will earn $ 22.3 million, was acquired from the Cleveland Indians last week along with starting pitcher Carlos Carrasco in a highly successful trade that thrilled Mets fans. New York parted ways with young infielders Andrés Giménez and Amed Rosario, as well as two minor league players in a deal that indicated the club is serious about paying star players and competing immediately with new owner Steve Cohen.
The next step will be to try to keep Lindor beyond this year. The four-time All-Star shortstop said he is not opposed to signing a long-term contract with the Mets. However, he said he would not want to negotiate after the start of spring training.
Lindor, 27, had a low year at the plate during the pandemic’s shortened season. He hit .258 with eight home runs, 27 RBIs and a .750 OPS as he started all 60 games and earned just over $ 6.48 million prorated off his $ 17.5 million salary.
Conforto will receive $ 12.25 million in his senior year before potentially becoming a free agent, while Smith agreed to a $ 2.55 million contract in his first year eligible for arbitration.
Outfielder Brandon Nimmo ($ 4.7 million) and right-handers Edwin Diaz ($ 7 million), Seth Lugo ($ 2,925.00) and Robert Gsellman ($ 1.3 million) also agreed to one-year deals.